Looking for the right Discord PFP size for your avatar?
Perhaps you want to give your Discord profile a fresh new look but you’re not entirely sure what the latest Discord avatar size is.
Don’t worry, you’re not the only one who’s looking for answers and that’s why we’ve summarized all the answers for you right here.
In this guide, you’ll learn what the recommended Discord profile picture size is, and how to change your PFP. We even provide a useful template for you.
Let’s dive right in!
Table of Contents
- The Recommended Discord Profile Picture Size
- Discord PFP Size Template
- How to Change Your Discord PFP
- Best Practices for Discord Avatars
- Other Discord Image Size Recommendations
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Key Points (tl;dr)
- Discord recommends an avatar image size of 128×128 pixels, however, if you upload a larger image, Discord will resize it for you as well.
- You can upload JPEG, PNG, and even animated GIF files. The file size limit of 8 MB is more than enough for most PFPs.
- For larger animated GIFs we recommend cropping and compressing them outside Discord as there have been many reports that Discord’s compression is often too weak and leads to file size errors.
- Make sure your profile pictures adhere to Discord’s Terms of Service and the Community Server Guidelines. NSFW avatars are not allowed.
For a step-by-step guide on how to change your Discord profile picture, PLEASE READ THE FULL ARTICLE.
Like this content? Then share it!
Solved: Discord PFP Size + Templatewww.tokenizedhq.com
Here’s the answer. Great article by @ChrisHeidorn from @Tokenized_HQ here: https://tokenizedhq.com/discord-pfp-size/
The Recommended Discord Profile Picture Size
Discord recommends a PFP size of 128×128 pixels for JPEG, PNG, and animated GIF images. Despite these recommendations, you may upload a larger image, crop it to a circle and let Discord resize the image for you.
Remember, whenever someone interacts with you on Discord or finds your profile, this is the very first thing they will see.
That’s why it’s so important to choose the right profile picture for your Discord, or any other social media platform for that matter.
The recommended Discord PFP size is 128×128 pixels, however, you can also upload larger images and Discord will automatically downscale it to the ideal Discord avatar size.
You can upload your profile picture in JPEG, PNG, or even as an animated GIF if your membership allows it.
When you upload your PFP, you don’t need to worry about its shape because Discord will automatically crop it to a circle for you.
However, this also means that the most important parts of the avatar should ideally be located in the center of the image.
Discord has a file size limit for profile pictures of 8 MB and up to 50 MB if you’re a Nitro member.
However, unless you’re uploading a very big animated GIF, most Discord profile pictures won’t exceed the basic limit.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For animated GIFs that are close to the file size limit it is generally advised that you crop and compress them outside Discord and upload the final image. Very often, when you crop animated PFPs in Discord, the compression is too weak and will exceed the file size limit.
Discord PFP Size Template
Although most people usually don’t have any trouble setting the correct dimensions for their Discord profile pictures, others need a bit more help.
That’s why we’ve put together a nice little Discord avatar size template that should make it a bit easier for everyone.
It’s really not something that’s overly complex but perhaps some of you will find it useful.
Our Discord PFP size template is available in 5 different file formats:
- PNG format
- SVG format
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop
- Affinity Designer
How to Change Your Discord PFP
Discord allows you to change your profile picture from within your profile settings. Simply click on your avatar or the “Change Avatar” button and upload your desired PFP image.
Changing your Discord profile picture is a piece of cake.
It will take you less than a minute and can be done directly from within your “User Settings”.
You’ll only encounter very slight differences between the desktop and mobile versions of Discord.
In the following two sections, we’ll show you step-by-step how to do both.
How to Change Your Discord Avatar on Desktop
To change your Discord PFP on the desktop application or inside your web browser, follow this 4-step process:
- Step 1: Click the cogwheel icon to open your user settings
- Step 2: Now click the “Profile” tab or the “Edit User Profile” button under “My Account”.
- Step 3: Next, click the “Change Avatar” button or simply click on the avatar itself.
- Step 4: Finally, upload and edit or crop the image to your liking.
And that’s it.
How to Change Your Discord Avatar on Mobile
On mobile devices, the process to change your Discord profile picture is even more straightforward.
Simply follow these 4 easy steps:
- Step 1: Swipe right and tap the profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- Step 2: Now tap “User Profile” in the user settings menu.
- Step 3: Next, tap on your profile picture and select “Change Avatar”.
- Step 4: Finally, upload an image and edit it until you are happy.
You’ve successfully updated your Discord avatar.
Best Practices for Discord Avatars
While using the correct Discord profile picture size is important, there’s a lot more to choosing the right avatar than just its dimensions.
Here are some useful tips to help you pick a profile picture that works well on Discord.
- Make sure your profile picture adheres to Discord’s Community Server Guidelines (i.e. no violent or inappropriate content).
- Pick an image that best represents your personality or brand and that others can relate to.
- Avoid overly busy imagery that is difficult to identify. It should immediately be clear what people are looking at.
- Although the recommended Discord profile picture size is 128×128 pixels, it’s often better to upload a higher resolution image and let Discord resize it for you.
Other Discord Image Size Recommendations
Avatars are not the only type of custom image that you can upload on Discord.
Here’s an overview of all the recommended Discord images sizes:
|Graphic Type||Optimal Dimensions||Maximum File Size|
|Discord Profile Photo Size||128×128 pixels||8 MB|
|Discord Server Logo Size||512×512 pixels||8 MB|
|Discord Server Banner Size||960×540 pixels||8 MB|
|Discord Server Invite Splash Image Size||1920×1080 pixels||8 MB|
|Discord Emoji Size||32×32 pixels (up to 128×128)||256 KB|
|Discord Chat Image Size||No Limit||8 MB|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Before we wrap up, let’s quickly address a few frequently asked questions that many people have in relation to Discord profile pictures.
How big should a Discord profile picture be?
The minimum Discord profile picture size is 128×128 pixels. However, it is often recommended that you upload a larger image because Discord will automatically resize it to 128×128 anyway.
What is the size of a Discord icon?
Discord icons are generally referred to as Discord avatars or Discord profile pictures. Their optimal size is 128×128 pixels. However, you can upload a larger image and let Discord downscale it for you.
How do I fit my profile picture on Discord?
When you upload an image for your Discord profile picture, no matter what size or aspect ratio the image has, you will be able to crop and resize it during the upload process. Therefore, fitting your profile pic shouldn’t be a problem.
Why is my Discord PFP so pixellated?
In 2021, there was a glitch in the iOS version of the Discord app that made all profile pictures uploaded via phones extremely blurry. At the time, the only way to fix this was to upload the PFP via the desktop app or browser.
Are NSFW profile pictures allowed on Discord?
No. Discord has confirmed on several occasions that NSFW avatars are against their terms of service.
No matter which social media platform you are on, profile pictures are a crucial part of what influences first impressions.
Therefore, as trivial as it may sound, using the right Discord profile picture size is more important than you might think.
Luckily, Discord makes this fairly easy because you can edit and crop your PFP during the upload process.
Here at Tokenized, we want to help you learn as much as possible about social media. We help you navigate the world of tech and the digitalization of our society at large, including the tokenization of assets and services.